Sunday, March 12, 2023

Changing priorities

 Little Miss Catherine will soon be 17 months old. With time speeding by as it does, Catherine has developed into a delightful toddler. I got to stay with her and her daddy a few days while her mommy (Sarah) went away for a business trip.  How lucky for me that I only live 90 minutes away and her parents allow me into their home to be part of this little miracle’s life. I was on spring break so Sarah’s trip was perfect timing for me.



Little Catherine

afternoon recharging

Catherine is just starting to say some words - most distinctly are no, more, and bad. She communicates well by nodding yes and shaking her head no. She blows kisses and waves bye-bye. We had the best time reading books, pretending to cook with kitchen utensils, an empty salt shaker, and measuring cups. We played with a ball and with her other toys. She has a great affinity for music boxes. 

Miss Catherine left me with a wonderful memory. She woke up early one morning and ran over to my bed. I heard her thump on the wood floor with her little feet – running – thump, thump, thump, thump – short but very fast little steps. I lay in my bed pretending to be asleep, hoping she might return to her own bed and go back to sleep. She stood there. I could hear her sucking her pacifier and breathing. Then, she hooted a few times…something like an owl or a dove. It made me smile. I pulled her up into the bed with me and she snuggled up against me. I put the blanket over her and she lay there quietly for 10 minutes or so. She had brought a stuffed bird with her, which she began playing with (I pretended to be asleep).  The bird pecked my arm and my face. Then Catherine began poking my eyes and running her fingers through my hair. Then, ever so gently, she started tracing the lines on my face. That made me smile, and as soon as I did that, she grabbed my nose and gave it a hard twist. That made me laugh out loud. As soon as I did that, she giggled. So much for going back to sleep - playtime was on!

Her giggles are infectious, but oh my, she is coming up on terrible two which, for my own girls, started around 18 months. When Catherine doesn’t have something she wants, she gets mad and then she cries unconsolably. The best solution I found was to show her something interesting or to change venue (take her to a different room).  I try to be a good grandmother/entertainment director. 

We had spring last week – unseasonably warm temperature and sunshine. The Bradford Pear trees exploded into bloom. I know they are bad for our environment and terrible invasive, but their blooms are truly stunning! The magnolias and daffodils bloomed, and now the redbud trees are showing their purple. But for now, we are back into winter until late next week.  So much for spring. Someone and I even played a round of golf one evening while spring was here. It was wonderful to get out to the course again, but so crowded that afternoon. We only got 13 holes in before it got too dark to finish the round.

Early March @ 74 degrees F - a winter gift

The semester is chugging along. I’ve cut back hours at University #2 which has improved my work/life balance. Lately, I’ve been thinking about returning to part-time at University #1. I enjoy the work and the people there, but I want my time to be more flexible. By going part-time, I won’t have to go to campus unless I want to, or if they have some kind of training or event. As long as I keep my students happy, my hours would be whenever I work, day or night, and wherever I am. It sounds great except that the adjunct pay is very sucky. I have already committed for Fall 2023 semester (full-time), so there is plenty of time to think about things. Life is short, and getting shorter.   

Mick and Gracie are getting along very well these days. Mick has started paying more attention to Gracie, in a good way, I think. He still will not play with her, but he no longer avoids her. When I am working at my desk, they sleep side-by-side against my chair. 

Co-inhabitants of my home: Someone, Mick, and Gracie on a very warm winter day

  

No comments: