Saturday, September 11, 2010

Higher Education



Where to begin? Cheryl gave me an African violet which is one of the things I like most about my office. It has gone crazy recently and is loaded with blooms...I have to give you a visual!


My office plants are the only things that make that job tolerable in many respects. I have an older photo of a spider plant that has really gotten bottom heavy lately. I will have to harvest some babies and start new plants soon. Also, my corn plant (I don't have a photo unfortunately) is now taller than me. It is magnificent!
So, today, I have been reading studies in preparation of writing an outline for my literature review. The reading has been interesting so I'm thankful that I have not selected a boring topic Still, it's so overwhelming to think that I must somehow find a way to organize the info provided from hundreds of studies. I'm also starting to wonder if my topic is even worthy of studying....I will write aboout that in my reflection statement this week.
A number of words came up today that I had to look up again. Listing them here (seeing them again) may help me eventually commit them to my unreliable memory.
  • salience - prominence, or importance (why can't I remember this one)???!!!
  • amenable - willing to comply
  • ceteris paribus - all other things being equal - (I should have remembered this one)
  • veridical - coinciding with reality
  • egalitarian - belief in the equality of all people
  • Bayesian learning - evidence or observations are used to update what is known about underlying hyptheses. Huh? That was the most concise definition I could find, but I'm not sure it makes that much sense to me.

No comments: