Tuesday, December 20, 2011

whining

It’s almost Christmas and I’m in a wretched mood.  My laptop crapped out in the wee hours Sunday morning.  I knew it was bad (power issue came back), so I thought just maybe I’d go to bed and when I woke up, the problem would be gone.   Yeah, but no.  A few hours on the phone with HP and at least the damn thing is still under warranty.  So, they are shipping me a box to return it in.  Nevermind that I kept the original box it came in and could have overnighted it to them Monday.  They insisted if I violate their standard process, it could actually take longer to get it back.  I’m supposed to receive the magic box tomorrow with “special” paperwork.  Thank you God for Carbonite.  I didn’t lose any work (that I’m aware of). 


My face.  Totally bummed.  Did I say I didn’t care about disfigurement?  I lied.  Needles and blood, plenty of that.  We started at 9 AM and finished at 4:30 PM.  We went three rounds of numbing, cutting, and checking until all the cancer was out (it's called Moh's surgery).  I went back into the little room of horrors for the 4th time and was told good news – they got it all.  Bad news, we can’t really do a repair job now because we don’t know how this mess is going to heal.  We can:  A) skin graft but it’ll need plastic surgery later; B) cut a big notch up to my nose and sew the skin together but then I’ll likely have something weird on my lip that needs plastic surgery; or C) leave a big gaping hole and let it heal naturally…then see if plastic surgery is needed.  I told him C sounded like the best option and he agreed.  So, I have a hole about the size of a nickel on and above my lip.  I have to change the bandage 3 times a day and when I got a good look at that mess last night, I wasn’t sure if I was going to black out or puke.  Obviously I was not cut out to be in the medical profession.        
What else?  Should I bitch about my chairman?  I finished all the courses in my doctoral program and I must have been short-changed.  I didn’t get the course on being an asshole.  The man (when he bothers to answer at all) answers my questions with questions.  Why can’t he just give me a straight answer – like ever?????   The only reason he replied to my email was because I told him if he didn’t reply within 48 hours, I was going to call him!  God forbid he should have to actually speak to me.  I’ve talked to a couple of others in my cohort who have assholes for chairmen/women.  Maybe it’s a requirement to qualify as a dissertation chair-person that you must be a disinterested jerk. 

Well, that’s pretty much all the negativity I can spread for now.  Back to work...   I don't even think I could drink with this damn hole - maybe with a straw...but I can't imagine getting alcohol in it.  It makes me cringe to think about it.  :(    OK...now back to work.   


1 comment:

KYLady said...

P.S. Donkeys are really cute. It's mean of me to insinuate that donkeys are anything like my chairman. Maybe I should have looked for a picture of a nice fat cockroach instead.