Wednesday, February 20, 2013

revival

My goodness, I’m a new woman today. I’ve had a headache for the past two days that just wouldn’t quit. Last night, I went to a retirement dinner for a lady from my office. It was fun to sit and rehash old stories from the days when people smoked and drank in the office, and it was acceptable for people to harass, be bullies, and be prejudiced bigots. It makes for interesting stories, but I'm glad those days are gone.  So last night, I doped up with lots of ibuprofen so my head wouldn’t hurt so bad. I was determined to enjoy the evening (and mostly, I did). We met at a swanky Italian restaurant, food was excellent, and most everyone was drinking wine. Not me, wine is a for-sure migraine trigger. Even so, by the time I left, my head was pounding. The ibuprofen messed up my stomach - it felt like I’d swallowed a watermelon whole even though I took most of my dinner home in a box.

I got home around 9 PM and went straight to bed. It’s times like this that makes my bed the best place on earth. I said to Gracie (because of course she was waiting for me to get home and went to bed early too), “This feels so good, it must be wrong.” I slept all night like a corpse.

Today, I feel like a spring chicken. Hopefully the headache doesn’t return.

Speaking of spring, we had a warm evening Monday, so I started trimming one of our apple trees. The last two years, we’ve had nothing but little, knobby, wormy apples. The last time I trimmed the trees, the fruit was much bigger and prettier.  Trimming the trees will be an ongoing effort on warmish evenings or weekend days, but I want to get it done before leaves start to bud. It’s past time for tree maintenance, and perhaps I’ll go buy some fertilizer stakes for them too. I love spring!!! It's time to start paging through the seed catalogs and dreaming of a new flower bed.




Freakin’ at the Freaker’s Ball….Dr. Hook    (visit the link if you want to really hear it)

Well there's gonna be a freaker's ball (ha ha)
Tonight at the Freaker's Hall
And you know you're invited one and all
Uh oh

Come on babies grease your lips
Grab your hats and swing your hips
And don't forget to bring your whips
We're going to the freaker's ball (yes)

Blow your whistle, and bang your gong
Roll up something to take along
It feels so good, it must be wrong
We're freakin' at the freaker's ball

Well all the fags and the dykes they're boogie-in' together
The leather freaks are dressed in all kinds of leather
The greatest of the sadists and the masochists too
Screaming please hit me and I'll hit you

The FBI is dancin' with the junkies
All the straights, swingin' with the funkies
Across the floor and up the wall
We're freakin' at the freaker's ball, y'all
We're freakin' at the freaker's ball

Everybody's kissing each other
Brother on sister, son on mother
Smear my body up with butter
And take me to the freaker's ball

Pass that roach please, and pour the wine
I'll kiss yours if you'll kiss mine
I'm gonna boogie 'til I go blind
Freakin' at the freaker's ball

White ones, black ones, yellow ones, red ones
Necrophiliacs looking for dead ones
The greatest of the sadists and the masochists too
Screaming please hit me and I'll hit you

Everybody ballin' in batches
Pyromaniacs strikin' matches
I'm gonna itch me where it scratches
Freakin' at the freaker's ball, y'all
We're freakin' at the freaker's ball

We're at a ball
We're freakin' at the freaker's ball

(I used to listen to this kind of crap back when I really was a spring chicken.  As Emily would say it, Dr. Hook was the "bomb.com").



2 comments:

linda said...

Oh, those days of not having to consider others - they do make for great stories. I too am glad they are done with though. The other night I watched some comedy from the 1980's that, at the time, I thought was funny. Now I think it is wrong on so many levels - things have changed, humour has changed.

Freaker's Ball - those words are great.

Your Spring is on the way in just as my Autumn is coming in. Both nice times of the year in the garden.

KYLady said...

Humor has changed – in some ways more much more sophisticated, but also much more crude. I suppose that reflects how our world is these days. Humanity is much more exposed with the ever-increasing availability of media and online information sources.