Tuesday, July 3, 2012

déjà vu dream

Wind storms last Friday knocked out power for millions of people in the states around where I live. Fortunately, we only lost some tree limbs; no damage to our house or cars. Our neighbors weren’t so lucky. Up the street from us, some trees were knocked over or snapped off, and some houses lost gutters, roof shingles, and siding.

I had to pick up a rental car Saturday morning before noon for a business trip Sunday. Our town only has one car rental place and it’s only open Saturday mornings on the weekends. I try to avoid traveling on weekends, but I had no choice for this trip. The worst of the storm was over Friday night when I went to bed. I had two dreams that night. In the first one, I saw a large room with hundreds of empty shiny gold birdcages.  In the second dream, I walked in to pick up my rental car and it was wall-to-wall people waiting to be waited on. For me, a person who hates waiting, that was like a nightmare. Imagine my astonishment when I walked into the car rental place Saturday morning at 10:30 and found the room filled with people trying to rent cars (not as many people as in my dream, but way more than the staff could handle). It was like déjà vu. I waited almost 90 minutes to be waited on that morning. Fortunately, I had a reservation because many people were turned away. I always request a car with satellite radio but they didn’t have one available for me.  (It was a very boring, long drive).

good way to pass time on boring rides (unless you're driving)

Some customers got tired of waiting and left. I felt trapped (bird cages??) because I had to get the car. My boss would shit if I drove my own vehicle for business. It’s cheaper to rent a car than to be reimbursed for mileage. Anyway, I really hadn’t contemplated that the rental place might be busy because of the storm, but that must have been in the back of my mind somehow. That’s kind of cool. I wish I could dream about winning the lottery so I could know what numbers to play. 

No comments: