Sunday, December 9, 2012

the good, the bad, and the ugly


Chapter 4 is coming along and perhaps I’ll be ready to start on Chapter 5 by tomorrow night or maybe Monday night...depending on what happens tomorrow.  Lots going on lately, some good but unfortunately, the bad is outweighing the good these days. 
In trying to keep with the spirit of the holiday, I’ve been doing some online shopping – finding gifts for my lovelies.  These are being delivered to the house with explicit orders that nobody is allowed to open anything.  At some point, I’ll have to get busy and wrap gifts.  That’s something I like doing when there’s enough time to devote to it and we have pretty paper and ribbon.  Last year, I just could’t find any pretty wrapping paper, but I haven’t been out shopping for any this year.  The girls put our tree up and decorated it for me.  I think they did a lovely job.   

 

Now for the bad news.  Remember a few months back when I got the worst case of poison ivy I’d ever had in my life?  Guess what?  It wasn’t poison ivy.  I got it again – same thing, exactly the same.  It’s a very bad allergic reaction to something that I still don’t know what.  This time it didn’t get quite so bad because I got a shot and started on a double-dose of steroid pills within 12 hours of my eyes swelling shut.  GOD, it’s wretched!  The doctor says there’s no point in seeing an allergist because whatever it is, I’m not coming into contact with it often and an allergist will only test for common household things.  So I missed two days of work last week because of it, and I still don’t want to go out in public with this scary monster face.  I return to the doctor Monday to get another shot.  This is crazy shit!
Speaking of shit, it has hit the fan with my brother.  Nothing good is going to come of this situation.  It seems completely hopeless.   The best outcome would be for him to get arrested for DUI, whichever one this would be – 4th or 5th.  Lock him up for a good long time, hopefully at least a year or two, and officially take away his driver’s license.  Hopefully he won’t hurt somebody before he kills himself...however it happens.  It’s a terrible thing to wish on somebody, especially my own brother.  I don’t think he’ll be with us much longer unless something drastic happens.  Something drastic is about to happen.  I just hope he doesn't hate me too much if he ever gets sober enough to figure out what happened.               

2 comments:

linda said...

KYLady: Hmmm, that is awful about your allergy. Worse when you don't know what it is. Do you have any idea if it is food related? Or plant? One of the girls I walk with developed an auto immune problem and had allergic reactions to random things. We all had to be trained how to use her EpiPen in case she had a severe reaction to something on the walk. It has started to settle now but her diet was very, very ordinary for a while.

I hope you find out. It is frightening not knowing.

Sad about your brother. It's hard when it is family. And there is a point where you cannot do anything for them.

Christmas tree looks festive as do your girls. Nothing beats happy smiles.

KYLady said...

Linda – thank you for your kind remarks. Fortunately, whatever my allergy is, it’s not life threatening – no need for an epiPen. I’d like to find out what causes it so I can avoid it, that’s for sure! It would surprise me to learn it’s food-related; I eat the same stuff all the time. I’m not very adventurous with food.