Sunday, July 8, 2007

Sandy Creek

Yesterday was a great day. The girls were wiped out from a sleep over they went to and they didn't want to do anything, so the "old man" and I went out to Sandy Creek (aka The Creek) and got a round in. It was a gloriously beautiful day, sunny, humid, and hot, just the way I like it. Jerry is getting a tad too comfortable in having me back on the golf course with him and he's falling back into that bad habit of his - giving unsolicited advice. I didn't assess him the appropriate penalties, but next time I might have to. When I want advice from a person who swings the club like a gorilla, I'll ask for it. Jerry is easy to play head games with though, he always has his head in the game. When he's getting on my last nerve too much, I'll make some innocent little comment about the road (OB) or the creek (lateral hazard) or the railroad tracks and sure as heck, his ball goes there. Then he's off hunting for his ball and I have quiet again. I often wonder why some men ever play golf. It's as if every shot is a test of their manhood.

I was having some trouble getting my mid-iron shots lined up yesterday, I kept pushing everything right, probably where I've been working so hard on my draw. Finally, by the back 9, I was getting things turned around. I did have a couple of amazing putts on the front and one awesome 3-wood shot (on the par 5, #4 hole). I had a couple of birdie putts but I missed both of them. On the back 9, I was finally able to get the fade out of my drive and getting better distance. I think I hit my most perfect, magnificent drive ever on the par 4, #17 hole. I played from the reds yesterday and I'm not sure of the yardage, but the ball went dead straight and stopped maybe 15 yards from the front of the green. The sound of the club hitting the ball was music to my ears (clink) and there was like zero vibration on the club. I must have hit that sweetest part of the sweet spot on face of that driver.

My final score was nothing to be proud of, 86, 45 on the front and 41 on the back. Still, it was below 90 which was my goal for the day. It's going to take time to get back to the shooting in the mid to low 70's. For now, I'm just delighted to have a chance to get out and play. When I start scoring in the low 80's, I'll move back to the white tees. Actually, if I do that now, that would probably be good but not as much fun. The Creek is a fairly short course so if I hit a good drive, I only have a short iron to the green. I need to get better with my long irons.

I don't think I'll be playing any golf today - got other irons in the fire.

No comments: