Wednesday, January 11, 2012

breaking point

I haven’t been in the mood to write lately.  Things pile up until it all becomes an incredible weight.  Living gives way to “making it through another day”.  It makes me wish I could stage my death and disappear, or be abducted by space aliens who will take me away to a peaceful, idyllic galaxy far from here.  Has life ever been simple?  I don’t remember my life ever being simple, but I do remember a time when it was easier than it is now. 



What makes life complicated?  I think it’s people.  People are always doing shit to each other that makes life complicated….I do shit that makes my own life complicated.  Maybe the real problem is me.  Maybe a good long vacation away from me and this planet would do a world of good.  I bet everyone is that way, or perhaps it’s just people on the lower end of the food chain (like me) who look for escape from it all.  God should have thought of that when he designed people.  Maybe that’s why He invented alcohol…or maybe people invented alcohol to overcome God’s design flaw.   

So, work has been nuts lately.  I did somebody a favor today - it was very easy for me and what I did at least gives him a fighting chance for success.  He’s been struggling with a project  that has no stakeholder support, and inadequate leader support.  He’s into the third year with it and still has no agreement among stakeholders about what to do.  He’s been asking the wrong people for help (but he didn’t know that).  He called me today and we chatted about what he thinks is causing delays in getting buy-in.  I listened – he is lost in the jungle and standing in quick sand.  I threw him a rope and volunteered to be his Sherpa.  Maybe today I just doubled my workload for the next year….if I’m there another year.

They say what goes around, comes around.  Could somebody please throw me a rope and a compass?            

No comments: