Friday, January 20, 2012

greenlight

I was drafting an email to my academic advisor to ask the procedure for replacing my chairman.  I had given up all hope.  Tonight, my chairman redeemed himself.  He even suggested I should text him if I have questions and I know how to text.  Know how to text?  Does he think I’m a dinosaur?  He probably does; I’m at least 20 years older than him. 

The best news!  He approves of the instrument to measure safety voice.  No longer will I be looking at intentions to report near miss incidents.  No instrument exists and I have no time for developing an instrument.  Safety voice is conceptualized as including such things as speaking up when things are unsafe, reporting hazards, ratting out coworkers who violate safety procedures, and other such things.  Safety voice includes reporting near misses although the researchers who termed it did not specifically mention near misses.  By most definitions, near misses include not only no-harm incidents but also identification of hazardous conditions or unsafe actions.     

So anyway, I’m busy on a new section for Chapter 2, and I’ll have to go back through Chapters 1 and 3 to  restate research questions and hypotheses.  Fun, fun, and more fun.  I don’t care.  It’s progress and there hasn’t been enough of that lately!!!    

No comments: