Wednesday, May 16, 2012

daisy days

It’s a balmy, breezy night here in beautiful Flatwoods, Kentucky.   Around 3:00 this afternoon, I zipped out for a walk around the little lake behind my office.  The catalpa trees are blooming, and the mulberries are starting to turn from red to dark purple.  The daisies made me happy.  Daisies are one of my most favorite flowers in all the world.  They are easy to draw.  Their simple beauty is unforgettable.  Best of all, the honeysuckle is getting ripe already.  The sweet smell is almost suffocating at certain times of the year.  I love it!   



So around midnight last night, Dr. Chairman texted and said if there’s nothing specifically I want him to look at, go ahead and resubmit my proposal application.  I told him the changes were as we discussed in the previous week – I submitted without any review by him.  He wouldn’t have read it anyway and it would only add delay to ask him to look.  I had a boss once who was like Dr. Chairman.  He wanted to hear solutions before he heard problems.  Basically these people just want to be told what you’re going to do.  It’s OK to ask for advice, but don’t ask for help.  It’s not OK to ask “What does this mean?”, but it’s ok to say “I think X means this.  Do you agree?” 

So anyway, the deed is done and now I have up to 20 business days to do stuff.  “Stuff” included a visit to the driving range tonight with Someone.  I wanted to play golf this evening but it didn’t work out.  The driving range was fine though.  This old lady has a new 3-wood, and it’s got more flex than any club I’ve used before.  I have to swing different to control the ball.  Slower (easy) downswing, aim more right, widen my grip.  The result is more draw and more distance.  I like it!  I think I would have scored well today, unless my putting sucked...which it probably would have.


I’m ready to do some digging in the yard!  Maybe tomorrow.     

No comments: