Saturday, October 27, 2012

clear space is sublime

It was a different sort of Friday for me – not the typical scrape me off the ceiling and walls sort of day.  The phone only rang once while I was at my desk, and there wasn’t even much instant messaging or urgent emails today either.  What a treat!  I left at 5:30 with loose ends tied up, tickets started for next week’s projects, and a general check of things to find any ticking time bombs lurking about that might want to blow up over the weekend.  A weekend with no trouble calls is always sublime. 

 

By the way, sublime is not a word in my working vocabulary.  I threw it in just because it seemed to fit there.  I read it the other day in an article by a British author and decided I should try to use it sometime.  Mission accomplished, and probably it won’t happen again.  Honestly, I don’t know for sure he even was a British author, but he kept using whilst so I assume he was.  His article was somewhat sublime.   

The week’s weather was gorgeous – sunny and unusually warm.  Now it’s officially the weekend and of course the rain has set in with temperatures falling to the 40s for a while.  Soon it’ll be November and who knows what we’ll get...hopefully a nice long Indian Summer.  Most likely though, we'll at least see some snow flurries before November is over.   
Clouds rolled in today

I won’t complain too much though.   Now is the time for me to stay close to a computer and shepherd any merciful souls who volunteer to take my survey.  Participation is picking up a little bit now that I can give a gift certificate, and with the ridiculous process the board is making me use, it’s now a 3-step process for me (2 steps for the participant).  Not only that, it’s time for this old lady to do some significant house cleaning over the weekend.  I hate staying inside to clean when I can be outside doing anything at all. 
We've collected a stack of empty to boxes to fill with stuff to donate.  My house is inhabited by a band of hoarders.  Said hoarders are making no moves to clear anything out, so it must be they want me to get it done for them.  That I'll do, and with great pleasure!  Our interior space is much too cluttered and I have no affinity for their junk.  It's going to be a fun day tomorrow.    
 

2 comments:

linda said...

I love the visual that goes with those words "snow flurries". Since we don't have such things here I always imagine little white things blowing around.

Another thing I love the thought of an Indian Summer. Now that sounds sublime to me. I remember reading about Indian Summers in many English novels and somehow they managed to make such a thing sound delicious.

Tree photo is nice. Almost like arms outstretched to the sky.

KYLady said...

Your image for snow flurries is exactly correct – white flakes just blowing around and not sticking to anything. Sometimes they are very small flakes and sometimes they are big fat wet flakes (the wet ones are my favorites). I love snow if I don’t have to drive in it too much.

Indian summer is sublime  It implies you’ve already experienced the expected cold weather that precedes a long dreary winter, so your mindset is to just accept that cold weather with varying degrees of dreariness is all you can hope for until spring. Indian summer is a surprise gift of some warm sunny days that cause you to forget the season , even if it’s only for a few days. It’s kind of like a Get Out of Jail Free card in Monopoly.