Saturday, November 26, 2011

holi(daydreaming)

The four-day weekend is nearly over.  I still have hopes that a full draft of Chapter 2 can be finished by tomorrow night (even though here I am taking a break)!  I must have shit for brains.  The day was devoted to finishing up a sections on organizational citizenship behavior (OCB) and safety citizenship behavior (SCB).  SCB was just going to be a subsection of OCB, but as it grew, it got a section all by itself.     

It was a nice holiday.  We went to my in-laws’ house for dinner on Thanksgiving.  It’s crazy on holidays – lots of people and tons of food - but it’s nice to see everyone.  My husband’s family is very close.  I feel really lucky that the families of both my husbands are all very nice people.  Sarah and Desmond came down for a quick visit.  We went out to dinner and to see the Festival of Trees (Christmas trees).  That was lovely but I am not ready to think about Christmas.  It’ll be here before we know it though.  At the moment, we have no place to put up a Christmas tree.  The workers will be back on Monday and will hopefully finish up the floors so I can move stuff back into the closets and put some of the furniture back in place.


I don’t believe I’ve ever had Thanksgiving with my mother.  If I did, I was too young to remember.  We rarely visited my dad but one of the times we went up there was over Thanksgiving.  We went to his wife’s parents’ house for dinner.  His wife was mad that my grandmother didn’t pack nice clothes for us to wear.  Her parents lived on a large farm and I didn’t understand why it was important for us to wear good clothes to visit the country.  In fact, I hated dressing up because I was not allowed to get my good clothes dirty.  I liked her parents’ barn though, because it was always full of cats and kittens.

Here is a photo of what my family might have looked like.  My grandmother told me this was taken on Easter, but my folks were already split up and gone.  We are dressed up so we must have been going to church, or perhaps we were just back from church.  It doesn’t seem likely that we went to church together, so maybe this was no more than a visit situation and photo opportunity. 

my imaginary family

 

No comments: