Tuesday, September 10, 2013

deliverance


There has been just much too much going on lately, but things are getting better…at least as far as my personal life goes.  My work life has been the lowest pit of hell lately.  Just when I thought there would be time to start catching up on some projects I’m months behind on, I got notice yesterday of another  new high-priority initiative that will require months of my time to test everything I support, change whatever crap doesn’t work, and migrate to new servers.  From now on, that will be the-place-which-shall-not-be-named (because thinking about that place just puts me in a bad mood).    

My laptop crapped out completely a few weeks ago.   The new one was supposed to be delivered today, but they attempted to deliver it yesterday while nobody was home.  They left a waiver on the door that I could sign, telling them to deliver it with nobody home and if any damage occurred during shipping, they aren’t responsible.  Um, no.  I took today off work and will wait here all day long until they come back.  I’m giddy at the thought of opening a (my) brand new laptop, and besides that, staying home is much nicer than spending another day at the-place-which-shall-not-be-named.

Two days after I ordered a new computer, my van crapped out.  Of course this happened in a terrible place – two lane road with no place to get off, in the middle of a national forest with absolutely no cell phone service for miles around.  A very sad, long story short, it took more than 3 hours to get a tow truck.  Not only is the van getting a new transmission, new timing belt, new water pump, new front and rear brakes, it’s getting an oil change.  The bad news - $$$$$$$$$$.  The good news is that it’s supposed to be ready to pick up tomorrow.        

I’m graduating in less than three weeks.  The regalia (cap and gown) arrived a few weeks ago.  When I got a look in the mirror…well…words just can’t express the thoughts that were whipping around in my brain.  Am I clown?  A peacock?  A wallflower just can’t blend in enough wearing this get-up.  I don’t  know what to say about it.  The stripes down the front and gigantic sleeves give the appearance of an extra wide load.
 
Sunday, Erin and I visited Miss Sarah – it was a day full of adventure.  Not only did we visit cows, and play with chickens and kitties, we explored a giant cemetery.  The most interesting thing there was an old crypt that was caving in; you could see old caskets in there.  Old tomb stones are so much fancier and imaginative than modern ones.  This cemetery had graves marked in the 1700s and some men who died in the revolutionary war.    Some of stones are so smooth and eroded you can’t make out names or dates.  Sarah showed us her favorite tree.  It has multiple trunks that are twisted together, which just invites a person to climb (and act goofy…of course).  I hope no dead people minded that we had fun in their final resting place.  I wish it could stay just as lovely forever as it was on Sunday.  

crypt
 
silly girls playing in the tree posed for a photo
The books says "In loving memory of a noble useful life."
 
My favorite stone.  If I have a grave stone, give me a grisly skeleton with vines growing through it. 
Many old headstones look like logs.  All the ones I saw were from the late 1800s. 
 
       

No comments: